• The Fairhill 19133 Zip Code is the poorest in Philadelphia
• The poverty rate is 61%
• Median household income is $14,185 = monthly income under $1,200
• Average monthly rent $800.
• Industrial jobs in Fairhill moved to developing countries in the 1950’s.
• The local economy collapsed, and Fairhill became known as an active drug trafficking center.
• It was called “The Badlands” in a 1994 novel, Third and Indiana, and in a Ted Koppel 2007 Nightline special.
• Over 80% of the population is Hispanic, largely Puerto Rican.
• Fairhill is also called “Centro de Oro,” the Golden Center in Spanish
• North 5th Street has many Puerto Rican community cultural organizations.
Support Our Work
Help us expand our impact and spread the Gospel in Philadelphia